Healthy Tweaks To Your Favorite Recipes
With everyone becoming so health-conscious nowadays, it’s more important than ever to find quick healthy tweaks to your favorite recipes, that way you can still enjoy comfort food, without having to sacrifice your health. We found a couple of healthy tweaks to your favorite recipes that are simple to do, and won’t affect the taste.
- Learn how to swap out ingredients. There are many unhealthy ingredients that can be substituted for healthier versions, including ground beef, which can easily be replaced with ground turkey, white rice swapped for wheat rice, 1 egg for 2 egg whites, etc. You see where we are going with this. It’s quick, easy, and you likely won’t notice the difference.
- Stop adding salt. So many of the foods we use to cook already have plenty of sodium added to them, so drop that salt shaker! Instead, use a bit of pepper and turmeric for added taste. Odds are you won’t even notice the difference.
- Cut down the sugar. When baking especially, you may find that you’re using obscene amounts of sugar, but there are fixes to that. Cut the sugar down by about a third, and use extra spices like cinnamon or vanilla extract to help. You likely won’t notice the difference, but your body will enjoy having less sugar put into it when you’re enjoying that sweet treat.
- Try oven-baked instead of fried. Fried chicken is a Southern favorite, but it’s so bad for you, and there are many ways to enjoy oven-baked fried chicken that are healthier. Same goes for several meal options, so try something new and leave the fryer alone. You’ll thank us later.
- Replace butter with unsweetened applesauce. That’s right, for your baked goods, cut the butter in half, and use the other half with a mashed banana or applesauce. It’s a small enough amount that you won’t likely notice the taste difference.
- Remove added toppings. Pumpkin pie is a deliciously sweet dessert on its own, it doesn’t need to have whipped cream, just like apple pie doesn’t need that side of ice cream with it. This is a great way to cut down on extra sugars.
It may seem like a daunting task at first, but once you get into it, you’ll find that making these healthy tweaks to your favorite recipes is easier than it appears, and you may be inspired to try tweaking even more dishes.