High Scoring Snacks For Your Tailgate
The thought of eating healthy snacks on game day seems like an even bigger fantasy than winning your pick’em league this week. A lot of the standard ball game fare can be unnecessary roughness to your diet. However, it is possible to run your routes past the greasy and fattening snacks onto good food victory. Here are some health-conscious snacks for your tailgating get-togethers and Sunday Football feasts that don’t scrimp on taste and will put your party in the win column.
Sriracha Cauliflower Bites from Eating Well
- 8 cups 1½-inch cauliflower florets
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons of Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Toss cauliflower, oil, and salt in a large bowl. Spread on the prepared baking sheet; reserve the bowl. Roast the cauliflower until it's starting to soften and brown on the bottom, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine hot sauce, Sriracha to taste, butter and lemon juice in the large bowl. Add the roasted cauliflower and toss to coat. Return the cauliflower to the baking sheet and continue roasting until hot, about 5 minutes more.
Calories 99, fat 7g
Slow-Cooker Vegetarian Chili from Eating Well
- 2 (14.5 ounces) cans no-salt-added diced fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounces) can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed
- 4 cups cubed unpeeled sweet potatoes (see Tip)
- 2½ cups unsalted vegetable broth
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- ¼ cup no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1½ tablespoons chili powder
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup loosely packed chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
- Combine tomatoes, beans, sweet potatoes, broth, onion, bell peppers, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and garlic in a 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until the vegetables are tender, about 6 hours.
- Stir in cilantro and lime juice. Ladle the chili evenly into 8 bowls; sprinkle with cheese, if desired.
Calories 174, fat 1g
Ginger Chicken Kabobs from Eating Well
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons finely snipped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 fresh serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala (optional)
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup fresh pineapple cubes
- ½ medium red sweet pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ medium green sweet pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Place chicken in a large resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish. Add cilantro, ginger, garlic, serrano pepper, oil, coriander, cumin, salt, garam masala (if desired) and nutmeg to bag. Seal bag. Turn and press bag to coat chicken. Chill for at least 2 hours or up to 6 hours.
- On eight 10- to 12-inch skewers, alternately thread the chicken, pineapple, red sweet pepper, and green sweet pepper, leaving a ¼-inch space between pieces.
- Place kabobs on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 8 to 12 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, turning occasionally to brown evenly.
- Tips: Handling chili peppers: Because chili peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chili peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
- Variation: Broiler Directions: Preheat broiler. Place kabobs on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 8 to 12 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, turning occasionally to brown evenly.
Serving 2 skewers
Calories 169, fat 3g
Stuffed Mini Peppers from Eating Well
- ½ cup crumbled queso fresco (2 ounces)
- ¼ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (1 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped jarred pimiento peppers
- 6 miniature red, yellow, and/or green sweet peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 tablespoon whole-wheat panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with foil; set aside. In a small bowl combine crumbled queso fresco, shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, and finely chopped jarred pimiento.
- Stuff sweet pepper halves with cheese mixture, mounding cheese mixture slightly. Sprinkle whole wheat panko on top of the cheese mixture. Lightly coat top of panko with nonstick cooking spray. Place peppers on prepared baking sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Calories 57, fat 3g
Quinoa Vegetarian Chili from Daily Burn
- 2 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped finely
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3-4 dashes of your favorite hot sauce
- Place all ingredients in large stockpot and over medium-high heat, bring to a boil.
- Let simmer for 40-50 minutes uncovered, or until desired consistency.
Cal 337, fat 3g
Zesty Black Bean Hummus from Daily Burn
- 2 (15.5 ounces) cans black beans
- 2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 10-12 stalks of celery, cut into thirds
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients, except celery, and puree until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve with celery.
Cal 218, fat 7.5 g
Gluten Free Quinoa Pizza Bites from Pop Sugar Fitness
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped (or 2 tablespoons dried)
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pizza sauce for dipping
- Place the quinoa and two cups of water in a covered pot. Bring to boil and then simmer for 20 minutes or until quinoa is tender.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients, except pizza sauce, in a medium mixing bowl.
- Distribute mixture into a greased mini muffin tin, filling each cup to the top (one heaping tablespoon each), and press down gently to compact.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Serve warm with sauce for dipping.
Makes 24 mini muffin bites.
Chicken Lettuce Wraps from Dinner at The Zoo
- 1-pound ground chicken
- 5 ounces shiitake mushrooms stems discarded, caps finely diced
- 1/2 cup onion finely diced
- 8 ounces can water chestnuts drained and finely diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1 head butter lettuce leaves separated
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the chicken for 5-6 minutes, breaking up the meat with a spatula, until mostly cooked through.
- Add the mushrooms and onion to the pan. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in the water chestnuts, garlic, and ginger. Cook for 1 more minute.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil.
- Pour the sauce over the ground chicken mixture and toss to coat evenly.
- Sprinkle the green onions over the chicken mixture.
- Spoon the chicken into the lettuce leaves and serve.
Cal 301, Fat 14g
Veggie Pizza with Cauliflower Crust from Cooking Light
- 1 cauliflower head, roughly chopped (about 3 pounds)
- cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided.
- ½ cup pre-sliced cremini mushrooms
- ½ cup sliced red bell pepper
- ½ cup thinly sliced fresh basil, divided
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (about ⅔ cup), divided
- 2 large egg whites
- 5 ounce grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup thinly sliced seeded tomatoes
- ⅔ cup fresh baby spinach
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Place half of the cauliflower in a food processor; pulse 10 to 15 times or until finely chopped (like rice). Transfer cauliflower to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat procedure with remaining cauliflower. Coat cauliflower with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes, stirring once. Cool.
- Increase oven temp to 450°.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add mushrooms and bell pepper; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
- Place cauliflower in a clean kitchen towel. Squeeze until very dry. Combine cauliflower, remaining 1 teaspoon oil, ¼ cup basil, ⅛ teaspoon black pepper, salt, garlic, 2 ounces mozzarella cheese, egg whites, and Parmesan cheese in a bowl. Press cauliflower mixture into 2 (8-inch) circles on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Coat crusts with cooking spray.
- Bake crusts at 450° for 22 minutes or until browned. Remove pan from oven; top crusts evenly with mushroom mixture, tomatoes, spinach, remaining ¼ cup basil, remaining ⅛ teaspoon black pepper, and remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake an additional 7 minutes or until cheese melts.
Serves 2 (serving size: 1 pizza)
Cal 350, Fat 15.8g
Slow Cooker Bourbon-Peach Baked Beans from Cooking Light
- 3 center-cut bacon slices, chopped
- Cooking spray
- 2 (15-oz.) cans unsalted cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (15-oz.) cans unsalted pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 ripe peaches (about 1 lb.), peeled and finely diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup organic ketchup
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add bacon, and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove bacon from skillet.
- Coat inside of a 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add bacon, beans, and remaining ingredients. Stir well.
- Cover, and cook on LOW 4 to 6 hours. Keep covered until beans are ready to serve.
Calories 181, Fat 1g
Grilled Watermelon Pizza from Cooking Light
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (3/4-inch-thick) slice seedless watermelon (from a 9-inch-diameter watermelon)
- 1-ounce creamy blue cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons small basil leaves
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
2. Combine onion, vinegar, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl; let stand 15 minutes or until onion is softened, tossing occasionally. Combine 2 teaspoons brining liquid and 2 teaspoons olive oil, stirring with a whisk. Drain the onion, and discard the remaining liquid.
3. Brush olive oil mixture onto both sides of a watermelon slice. Grill watermelon 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until well marked and juicy; place on a serving platter or cutting board. Top watermelon evenly with pickled onions, blue cheese, and pecans. Sprinkle with basil. Cut into 8 wedges.
Serves 4 (2 wedges per serving)
Cal 130, fat 7g
Eggplant Dip a.k.a Babaganoush from The Food Network
- 1 eggplant
- 1 glove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Prick eggplant with a fork and place on a cookie sheet lined with foil. Bake the eggplant until it is soft inside, about 20 minutes. Alternatively, grill the eggplant over a gas grill, rotating it around until the skin is completely charred, about 10 minutes. Let the eggplant cool. Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise, drain off the liquid, and scoop the pulp into a food processor. Process the eggplant until smooth and transfer to a medium bowl.
- On a cutting board, work garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt together with the flat side of a knife, until it forms a paste. Add the garlic-salt mixture to the eggplant. Stir in the parsley, tahini, and lemon juice. Season with more salt, to taste. Garnish with additional parsley.
Chili-Lime Roasted Chickpeas from Cooking Light
- 1 (15-oz.) can unsalted chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime rind
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Arrange chickpeas on paper towels; pat dry.
- Combine chickpeas and olive oil on a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400°F for 30 minutes or until crisp, stirring after 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chili powder, lime rind, and salt; toss to combine
Calories 151, Fat 5.9g
Grilled Mushrooms w/ Bruschetta & Goat Cheese from Sweet Peas & Saffron
- 12fresh whole mushrooms button or cremini
- 2small plum tomatoes
- 1clove garlic minced
- 1teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2-3tablespoons goat cheese crumbled
- fresh basil
- a sprinkling of salt & pepper
- Heat barbecue to medium.
- Wash the mushrooms and pull out the stems. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the tomatoes, garlic, and balsamic vinegar.
- Spray a BBQ vegetable tray well with oil. Gently spoon the bruschetta into the mushroom caps (you're going to want to discard as much liquid as possible) and arrange on the tray.
- Grill for 8-10 minutes, until mushrooms are cooked through.
- Immediately place a small spoonful of goat cheese on the warm bruschetta, scatter the basil leaves, and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Cal 15, Fat 1g
Chocolate Strawberry Footballs from Domestic Fits
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 12-14 large strawberries
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
You will also need:
- 2 Coffee mugs
- piping bag
- #2 tip
- Parchment paper
- In a microwave-safe coffee mug add the dark chocolate chips.
- Microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- Stir and repeat until melted.
- Grab the strawberry by the leaves.
- Dip in the chocolate and swirl around carefully until coated.
- Place on a sheet of parchment paper to dry for about 15 minutes.
- In a separate coffee mug add the white chocolate. Microwave on high for 20 seconds and stir, repeat until melted.
- Pour the white chocolate into your piping bag. Pipe on a stripe at the top and one at the bottom of your strawberries. Then pipe a line down the middle of the berry. Then pipe 5 or 6 lines across the middle line, creating the laces on a football.
- Serve chilled.
Cal 70, fat 4